I Wasn’t Invited…Why? This Sucks!…Now What?
It genuinely stings when we learn we weren’t invited to something! This just happened to me, when I saw something posted on social media. What can we do to heal the parts of us that get triggered and feel hurt when this happens? We get to love the part of us that feels hurt. We can unpack our bags and live in the hurt, or we use this as an opportunity to evaluate the relationship, the activity we missed, and what we want in our lives. Are these our People? What are our values and how we show up in the world?
- It’s going to sting when we find out we aren’t included—that’s a fact, and it’s very normal to feel hurt, angry, disappointed when we learn that we weren’t included
- As a Highly Sensitive Person, aka HSP, we tend to be kind, loving, thoughtful human beings
- We don’t know why we weren’t included
- It’s not really our business
- Are there things we’re doing to hang on to the hurt or try and find out more about why we weren’t included
- What are our values?
- Are these our people?
- Chances are, it will trigger past feelings of inadequacy and the tendency to make it about ourselves—this is usually an indication that the fit in the relationship is off
- When were are truly seen and heard, we have very little doubt about whether or not we fit. It just feels good and right
- How can we love the part of us that feels hurt
- Do we need to get extra support from a friend, therapist, mentor or coach if we’re feeling stuck?
- We can process and give energy to the woundedness
- We’re in it
- We’re defending
- We’re keeping the wound alive
- We can process and heal the woundness
- We evaluate the relationship
- We evaluate if we enjoy and benefit from the activity
- We evaluate our values and how we show up vs. how the other people show up
- Do you unfollow or unfriend the person (people) that are excluding you?
- What’s the kind thing to do in order to surround yourself with love and support
- How will it be if you continue to see things you’re not invited to on social media?
- People have a right to NOT include you
- People have a right to post on social media or talk about things you weren’t invited to
- How can we learn to heal our wounds and allow others to do what they do?
- When we look at our relationships, are they reciprocal?
- Do we give/do more than the other person consistently?
- Are we the one who is always reaching out and making plans?
- Do we enjoy the same activities?
- Do we have the same values?
- How do we feel after being with the person?
- We get to choose what we have in our lives
- We can learn to work through these hurts so they don’t over run the other things in our lives
Patricia Young hosts the podcast Unapologetically Sensitive, and works with Highly Sensitive People (HSPs) helping them to understand their HSP traits, and turning their perceived shortcomings into superpowers. Patricia is passionate about providing education to help HSPs and non-HSPs understand and truly appreciate the amazing gifts they have to offer. Patricia works globally online with HSPs providing coaching. Patricia also facilitates online groups for HSPs that focus on building community and developing skills (identifying your superpowers, boundaries, perfectionism, dealing with conflict, mindfulness, embracing emotions, creating a lifestyle that supports the HSP, communication and more).
Online HSP Course– https://unapologeticallysensitive.com/hsp-online-groups/
Bonus Episode 54 Being an Educated and Informed HSP Allows You to Know Your Gifts; Know Your Limitations, and to Accept that This is How You’re Wired https://unapologeticallysensitive.com/bonus-episode-54/
Episode 37 The Overall Strengths and Struggles of the Highly Sensitive Person https://unapologeticallysensitive.com/episode-37/
Welcome video for Online HSP Course–https://youtu.be/pGwwfbnuXfc
To enter the raffle for the scholarship for the Online HSP Course, send an email to unapologeticallysensitive.com and put “HSP Course Raffle” in the subject line. A winner will be announced via e-mail on Monday September 16, 2017
Facebook group Unapologetically Sensitive– https://www.facebook.com/groups/2099705880047619/
Music– Gravel Dance by Andy Robinson www.andyrobinson.com