A Discussion About Empaths and The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)
Colette talks about the differences between Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs) and Empaths. Colette gives us steps and tools to help us figure out if it is our own emotions, or if we are picking up on the emotions of other people. We discuss the care and feeling of an empath, and how what we consume, food or in our environment, can impact us. Colette also discusses medical challenges, and how she has been working with a biohacker to overcome these. She discusses the brain/gut connection, and muscle testing.
- Empaths – internalize the emotional states of others.
- HSPs externalize emotional states of others
- Empaths have a hard time expressing feelings, and absorb the energy of others.
- They experience stomach aches, headaches, tightness in chest and these may not be their own.
- Is the feeling mine, or someone elses?
- The basic care and feeding of an empath
- How to get grounded
- What we “consume”—food, emotions, news, friends, thoughts
- Shifting what we think is wrong with us to seeing our superpowers
- Brain/gut connection—can cause depression, anxiety, difficulties with concentration
- What is muscle testing
- Colette has hypoglossal schwannoma – a tumor on her brainstem
- How to take your energy back
- Shift perspective—we are not weak or we are not sponges
- We are capable, strong, competent
- Let our defenses down—stop protecting ourselves
- Stop trying to help others—witness, support, being, listening, “light and love,” allowing others to be who they are
- Stop taking responsibility for others and shine light on them
- Embody and exemplify in the world
- 4 Step process
- See the situation for what it is
- Distinguish between the situation and what happened inside of you (we all have a soul wound/core wounding)
- Feel the feelings
- It can be uncomfortable, but it’s about diving into the feelings
- Call back the castoffs
- Welcome back the parts of ourselves that we deem unlovable/unacceptable
- We must have unconditional love for self (self-compassion)
- Re-state the facts—identify statement—I am….
- Deeply buried belief about self that is false
- Colleen’s soul wound “I am an ugly disgusting waste of time”
- “I’m a beautiful magnetic woman that people love to be with.” Truth
- Deeply buried belief about self that is false
· I’m a beautiful, magnetic person that people love to be with.
· Highly sensitive people feel their feelings, and they want that for the world.
· My understanding of the difference between Highly Sensitive People, and empaths is that as empaths we take in and get lost in the emotional states of others.
· The Soul Wound, our deepest, most buried powerful pain.
· We have to restore wholeness, by loving those parts that we feel are unlovable.
Colette Davenport is a Master Empath and CEO of Badass Empath United, a global organization that provides personal and professional development exclusively for empaths. She is an international coach and speaker, and author of Get Your Magic Back.
Colette’s 20+ years of experience in the relationship field, along with her personal health crisis, and her fine tuned empathic abilities generated a unique vision for the future of the highly sensitive community. She believes empaths can only live up to their full potential through emotional mastery and speaking their truth. When this happens on a global scale, the world as we know it will shift from fear to love.
“In my early experience as an empath, not having the awareness and tools to navigate my sensitivities made me feel broken and alone. My self-esteem was tied to the acceptance of others. I made myself sick trying to fit in and be normal, and as such, I suffered from depression, anxiety, and addiction. Over the course of two decades I’ve learned how to establish healthy boundaries, speak my truth, give zero f*cks about fitting in, and connect deeply with people who get me. I share my wisdom and systems with other empaths who are ready to be the bada**es they were born to be.”
Patricia Young works with Highly Sensitive People (HSPs) helping them in understanding their HSP traits, and turning their perceived shortcomings into superpowers. Patricia is passionate about providing education to help HSPs and non-HSPs understand and truly appreciate the amazing gifts they have to offer. Patricia works globally online with HSPs providing coaching. Patricia also facilitates online groups for HSPs that focus on building community and developing skills (identifying your superpowers, boundaries, perfectionism, dealing with conflict, mindfulness, embracing emotions, creating a lifestyle that supports the HSP, communication and more).
Dr. David R. Hawkins MD, PhD Power Vs. Force
Facebook group Unapologetically Sensitive– https://www.facebook.com/groups/2099705880047619/
Music– Gravel Dance by Andy Robinson www.andyrobinson.com
Editor & Show Notes: Cianna Reider – YourPodcastVA.weebly.com